Facebook Pixel
It’s easy being green

It’s easy being green

The month’s journal continues our theme of Colour Philosophy, the role of colour in the home and how it affects your quality of life. The second entry in our series explores nature's own colour – green.


We all associate green with nature and the natural world. Before humans appeared, around 29% of the planet was originally green, with the other 71% covered in water – in colour terms, blue.



Image Credit: DeVOL


Green signals new beginnings and growth and can signify renewal and abundance. It has many of the same calming attributes as blue but is influenced by the energy of yellow. Interior designers often choose green to create a balancing effect and evoke feelings of harmony. Our harmonious relationship with green surely goes back to our ancestors, exposed to the natural world and green spaces, and reliant on nature’s abundance for survival.



Image Credit: DeVOL


Bright greens are more energising and vibrant, while olive greens reflect the natural world. Dark greens are the most stable and are associated with luxury.

Like blue, green has a wide spectrum of colours that will work equally well in any bathroom or kitchen. At one end, you’ll find bold, energising tints like ‘Wormwood’, named after the greenish-yellow flower of the wormwood plant. The plant is a key ingredient in Absinthe, also known as ‘la fée verte’, or ‘the green fairy’. A popular drink in 19th and early 20th-century Bohemia, it was notably favoured by many artists and writers, including Vincent Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde and Ernest Hemingway. At the other end of the spectrum, there are deep, dark, greens representing affluence and indulgence. A great example of this is ‘Puck’ – named after the sprite in Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Both Puck and Wormwood are available from The Little Greene Paint Company in collaboration with The National Trust.



Image Credit: Light Locations


Green is more than a colour, it’s a way of living.

Of course, green is no longer just a colour, but a shorthand for sustainable living, and a design trend that grows stronger every year. Consumers are demanding eco-friendly solutions to support their lifestyles and protect the environment. Our footprint has always been important to us, ever since Arthur Gerald Shaw began making our handcrafted sinks over 120 years ago using clay that had been dredged up as a byproduct of mining. Our heavy-duty fireclay is a 100% natural material and can be recycled after its long life.



Image Credit: DeVOL


There are some great ways to make your kitchen or bathroom a ‘greener’ space. A great starting point is to up your plant game. Go beyond the obligatory potted plant on the window sill and start to embrace ‘urban greening’. Plants and greenery have been proven to produce uplifting and calming effects on people, having a positive impact on stress-related illnesses. Studies have also shown that by simply having a view of greenery increases workplace productivity and patient recovery rates in hospitals. Growing fresh herbs indoors will add a sensual fragrance to your kitchen, and adding larger freestanding plants will help improve air quality. You could even install a ‘Living wall system’ that enables you to install a full vertical garden on either interior or exterior walls.



Image Credit: DeVOL


If you’re planning a new kitchen, consider ‘The Sebastian Cox Kitchen’ by deVOL, which utilises sustainable British timbers. And of course, we should all improve our awareness of what we bring into our kitchens. We can do a lot by improving our everyday choices, buying food that is locally sourced to reduce carbon emissions, choose products that have eco-friendly packaging or better still none, and recycle, upcycle or reuse things where possible. If everyone does a little, it adds up to a lot. 

Whichever way you choose to add more green into your home we hope it has a positive impact on your lifestyle as well as the environment. 


If you have any great tips for a greener kitchen share them with us on Instagram so we can help spread the word.




    FOR FURTHER INSPIRATION, EXPLORE OUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS